Tuesday, May 23, 2017

TABT update

Sorry for the lack of updates on the ride the last few days. I have been doing a lot of soul searching and calling home to figure out how to proceed.

All of the campgrounds that break up the ride (and provide resource replenishment) are closed still because of late snowfall.

I talked with a park ranger and she was super friendly and helpful. I told her what my plans were and she told me that her suggestion was to "remain in place until the snow melts enough that life returns to the mountains". Without the campgrounds open there would be sections where there is zero human life for about 100 miles (160km). One of the sections also has no natural sources of water nearby, so I'd have to carry more water than I even have space for (roughly 12-16 liters and I only carry 4 when I know there's 15-20 miles between closest towns)

As much fun as it sounds to "remain in place", that means being stuck in a tiny town with a super expensive hotel and nothing to do for at least 2 weeks, but more likely to be 3-4 weeks (the ranger said she estimates those remaining sites to open up in mid June).

Originally I wanted to visit a few other places AFTER my bike ride was over, I'm now moving myself into place to go do that now and wait for the snow to melt and I can reevaluate where things are in 2 to 3 weeks. If things are looking fine, I'll just go back to the Ochoco National Forest (where I left off) and start pedaling forward.

I guess this is a lesson on "learning how to adapt to changes out of my control" that I had so desperately wanted.

I'll definitely be biking in a few national parks in the meantime since I kept thinking about that non-stop the last few days. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a plan! After all the unforeseen hassles/dangers, it would be really nice to take a break and relax for a bit! I'd hate for you to end the summer and not have had any fun!